About Chicago Title
Chicago Title and Trust Co. dates back more than 150 years through the succession of several firms and corporations that were engage in the abstract and title business in Cook County, Illinois.
The year was 1847; Chicago was booming. Almost 17,000 persons called it home... and new pioneers were streaming in steadily to grasp the opportunities for independence, which the rich prairie soil promised.
An obscure young law clerk, Edward A. Rucker, devised a system of keeping track of every recorded instrument and legal proceeding affecting real estate titles. This saved attorneys the laborious task of searching official records in connection with transfers of real property. It was a valuable service that was welcomed.
Rucker hung out his shingle in the Saloon Building... then, later that year, joined with James H. Rees in the Merchants' Exchange.
As the city grew, abstract indices similar to Rees' and Rucker's were established by J. Mason Parker in 1852, and Fernando Jones in 1863. This was the foundation of what was to become Chicago Title and Trust Co. (CT&T).